Moon Cheese: Speculative Fiction

The moon is made of cheese, but did you know it's weird and creamy and oddly sexual? Now you do! Italo Calvino, Italian writer and journalist, spills all the details about la luna in his story "The Distance of the Moon."

It's weird. It's a really freakin' weird story. But I kinda' like it? I don't know, hearing other people's reactions in class made me wonder if I read the same story.

There were parts I was confused by, mainly with the characters. They're very simple caricatures, which is fine-that's usually what short stories do anyway-but it did feel like an influx of characters. Though, as I said in class, I think that was the point. The story showed a variety of love triangles, and how each person in those triangles felt. We even see how the moon feels as being part of a relationship (she keeps moving away, she's not that into you dude).

I do wish there were a version of the story that was less sexual. As much as I loved the moon cheese and the visceral, orgasmic descriptions of how the deaf cousin makes the moon feel, I wonder if I would have caught on to the same themes if the story forewent it. Did the story need a sexual component to be understood? I'm not sure, but it's something to think about. I'm very pro-sex (throwing it back to pro-sex feminism), but there are times where I'm watching a movie or reading something and I think "WHY are they having sex right now?" how does it help the plot? What's it showing? I feel like I would have understood the deaf cousin was in love with the moon without him having to finger it.

Now I will argue with myself for the case of the moon's promiscuity. Having the moon's physical sexuality shown in the story reveals the jealousy of the captain's wife. It tells the reader that she wants to be on the moon with the deaf cousin too. Is it because she's jealous of the moon? Or because she loves the moon as much as she loves the deaf cousin? Now we're getting into polyamory and my head is spinning.

So I liked the story, it made me do some thinking and I like stories that do that.

Comments

Popular Posts