Furries in SPACE!


Ship's Boy is... something. It's definitely something. It's a book that I read, and that book sure was something.

Okay, let's just jump right into it. The furries didn't bother me. Shocker. I can get behind the whole furry thing, honest! I grew up playing Star Fox, so that's not what threw me about the story. The story is what threw me for a ride. And that ride was, as I said, something.

Phil Geusz writes a very interesting world, I won't lie about that. The technology was very interesting, and the ways of the world were great. Though I'm not too sure on the whole "enslave the furries" thing. I feel like it's a good message, but knowing furries, it might be saying the wrong message. Furry slaves aside, the writing can be atrocious at times.

The dialogue is so... so... It's so fucking bad, okay? Like, there is nothing wrong with a cliché if it's only once in a while, and it's done well. But every single line of dialogue is like it's trying to be some epic line in a kid's action movie rather than realistic speech. I really hope this is fixed in the rest of this series because, really, the only thing keeping me going was the queer baiting going on between David and the Lord's kid. That was so gay. Until we found out that these characters in the sixth god damn grade.

Like, that was probably what threw me the most. Yes, the incredibly knowledgable mechanical engineer is only eleven or twelve years old. There are REALLY smart kids out there, but even just the way David acted was not like a twelve year old. You could argue the Lord's son does, sort of, but even then he's just too freakin' innocent and pure. His character barely has any conflict, he's too perfect.

Where Geusz's writing takes off into readable portions is within the worldbuilding and action sequences. These scenes are what kept me reading. They were very fluid, and included such great detail about the scene and the important action without rolling on forever. The descriptions of the melted, bubbling bodies on the ship were so great, so gory, so gruesome.

Ship's Boy was just OK. The furries didn't bother me, the worldbuilding was great, but god were the characters the worst. The story also ended way too soon, and while I know it's a series, it didn't set up for a sequel very well. The story just... Ended. Secretly, I want to see where the series goes, but the other part of me doesn't want to waste four bucks on poorly written furries in space when I can just play Star Fox.

(Also, just looked through Geusz's work and literally it's all about anthropomorphic bunnies. All of it.)

Comments

  1. I also read ship's boy, and I can agree it wasn't as good as it could have been. The allure of 'kinda-gay bunny boy in space' got me, but the writing leaves much to be desired. I definitely agree about it ending too quick. It leaves you at a point where you haven't seen enough of the world and the story for you to be completely sold on reading more.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts